Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Comedy At A Funeral

If laughter is the best medicine, then is it okay to laugh at a funeral provided something funny has happened? I don't mean laughing at the dead or the mourners, for that would be cruel, but if for example the priest (who is performing the service) trips and falls into the open grave and his vestment end up around his ears, is it then okay to giggle.
For example, while attending a recent funeral for a friend of the family an incident occured in which many in the crowd giggled quitley to themselves. While on his way to read the eulogy, the deceaseds uncle (a rather large gentalman) tripped on the step up to the podium and fell headlong into the side of the casket. The casket shook violently and shifted in its mountings above the open grave, and for a moment we all thought it would fall in prematurely. Luckliy it did not and the gentalman was okay..however his watch had come off and slipping under the casket into the grave. by this time my dear sweet mother and I couldn't look at each other for fear of breaking out in ruckus laughter. A feat made even more difficult when the gentalman then dug under the casket with an umbrella, all the while trying to hook his watch with the handle. After finally succeeding he held his watch up and noted to the crowd that he had got it. By now the majority of the crowd were giggling histarically away to themselves and the tears of mourning were replaced by ones brought on by laughter. Afterwards at the wake everyone agreed that had the deceased been present at the funeral he would have been the first to laugh.
It is sad to think though that in our culture everyone is expected to be or at least act sad and depressed during the course of a funeral. I understand that it is a sad time full of mourning, but I personally feel that it is disrespectful to the dead. I know I would want people to be laughing at my funeral, because I love to crack jokes and make people laugh and to think of them blubbering away makes me feel like I had failed them.
After the death of both of my grandfathers I only shed a few tears in private and the rest of the time I spent making the rest of my family laugh through retelling the great stories associated with the deceased. Like the time grandpa fell over a low wall while spraying his grandchildren with a super soaker. I know I would prefer to remember the good times then live with the images of the deceased in a casket or while sick in bed, etc.
Of course I won't step out of bounds or force others to do the same, for we all mourn in different ways, but if I can even make one other person at the funeral giggle or smile then I feel like I have paid respects to the dead as I would hope others would do for me.
I will leave you with a video and remember not to laugh, because this is someones funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment